Thursday, February 09, 2006

Theo understands about the potty

He understands but lacks the myelination to follow through. But hey, I think the understanding is the hardest part.

What happened was, this morning I checked his shorts and found that they were dry, so I asked him if he would like to sit in the potty. He said, "No!" and immediately began to whine and struggle. I tried to sound as soothing and nonthreatening as possible. I said, "Want to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow?" (NO, kick, whine.) I said, "Want to read the On Your Potty book?" (NO I DON'T WANT TO.) Then I explain that if he puts his poopoo in the potty, his butt won't turn red and hurt anymore. He listens. Just sit for two minutes, Theo. Hollering again. This whole business went on for a little while. Then I ask the magic question: "Do you want to sit on the big potty like Dada?" Yes!

So he sits there and gets peepee inside and squeezes (He actually says, "I'm squeezing it, Mama,") but no poopoo. But Dada and I congratulate him. We wash hands to the tune of Twinkle Stars and go downstairs to eat breakfast.

After breakfast I'm sure he'll need to poo, so we go back up to the potty. He easily complies, sings Twinkle Stars and Tomorrow and reads the Potty book. Squeeze. Nothing. He even suggests that I sit outside the bathroom for a while. I hear him singing. It gets to the point where I'm coaxing him to get OFF the potty. He finally stands up, and says, "No poopoo!" But I congratulate him anyway. We wash hands, then go downstairs.

He must have gone in his shorts in the fifteen seconds that it took to walk downstairs. I smelled it and said, "Do you have poopoo in your shorts?" He gets the most hilarious, sheepish look on his face and says, "Let me sit on the potty again?"

Ok that was a LOT of detail. But the point is, he knows what he has to do. We're on the same team, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home